Sunday, August 10, 2014

Iowa State Fair

Saturday morning Amelia's summer baton program culminated in a performance at the Iowa State Fair. Right up front I will confess, I kind of hate the fair.  And in Iowa that is sacrilege. In a state of 3 million people the fair will draw more than a million visitors. But yup, I don't like it. It had been a rough couple of days - John was traveling and we both got hit with a stomach bug that made everything seem hard.

So with that context, Amelia and I set off early Saturday morning for her performance.  She was so excited, which helped temper my ambivalence. Before the show with her friend Julia....


On the Budlight (yes, really) Stage. And I will say, Amelia's new baton studio runs a tight ship.  She has lots of new tricks and she was beaming on stage.... And yes, she is a half a head taller than every other girl in her class.


After the show Amelia and I walked around the fair and I actually had a lot of fun. It was delightful to have some one on one time with the littlest.  We split a peppermint/chocolate ice cream bar at 9:45am, because, why not?  We rode the big slide on a burplap bag. Amelia petted a baby cow....


We walked around the horse barn - cowgirl Amelia....


We rode the skyglinder at looked at all people.....


Before we headed home we split a corn dog and a lemonade, which frankly tasted really good.  Apparently the way to enjoy the fair is with my fabulous youngest, in and out in four hours. Who knew?

No comments: