Tuesday, June 14, 2011

A Glimpse Into the Future

From time to time I am struck by the fact that Ava and Amelia are four years apart. That they won't always be living with us, bickering about important issues like the look on a sister's face, who gets to sit where and if it is Tuesday or Wednesday. In what I am certain will feel like mere moments Ava will graduate from high school and presumably move on to college, leaving us home alone with Amelia for four years.

It seems only fair, Ava got four years of our attention (and Meghan and Lane's attention) at the front end, Amelia will get it on the back end. When she least wants it.

Tonight is Ava's dress rehearsal for her dance concert - John is pulling that difficult duty while I tend to Amelia. She's been a peach, gobbling up a ton of asparagus for dinner and saying please and thank you. I'm letting her stay out late and have dessert (after only eating asparagus, watermelon and cantaloupe for dinner tonight, our little vegetarian) because I am enjoying the rare time alone with her.

And in an even more terrifying glimpse into the future, she's managed to commandeer Selena's Barbie car and is driving all over the neighborhood. Holy crap - someday this child will drive a real car!

Eyes on the road!














Out for a spin...


2 comments:

Gma Marilyn said...

What a fun AND rich time in all of your AND our lives!! Love, Gma

Hilary said...

A very sweet post. I've been having similar thoughts as Ben will enter 5th grade next year and his last year of elementary school.