Whew - what a weekend! It seems like every so often we have one of those weekends where all kinds of things get scheduled. Fun things, things we look forward to, but lots to keep track of and so much to enjoy. I am a sentimental person, to be sure, but this was one of those weekends where the volume on everything was turned up - I felt things more deeply, both the good and the sad.
To kick off my Saturday I participated in the 5K Jingle Bell run hosted by my gym. It was an unbelievable day for early December with temps in the 50's. It was a little misty and overcast. In short, perfect running weather. This year I am participating in the Runner's World Holiday Streak. Each day between Thanksgiving and the New Year I am running at least one mile. So far it has been very fun and my legs are holding up well, but I am mindful I have a lot of days still in front of me. My goal for the race was to run at a pace that was slightly faster than my comfort zone, but not to push it too hard.
I finished the 5K (actually 3.2 by my watch, but who's counting) in 28:01. It was a small race, about 60 runners, but I still managed to be the third woman across the finish line and the first woman over 40 to finish. What a nice ego boost for me, even with a finishing time that is almost two minutes slower than my 5K PR!
Here's me and Jeanie (who is 10 years older than me) posing for our age group awards...
Saturday night was John's law firm holiday party. John and I served as hosts this year and it was a lovely event. I found a great dress at a local consignment store and will now be looking for more dressy opportunities to wear it! The party was some work, but it was nice to get dressed up and spend an evening out with John.
Here we are all spiffed up just before the guests began to arrive.....
I've mentioned before, Amelia is quite a helper. She loves to be given little jobs and responsibilities. One of the jobs John has given her this year is checking to see if our Christmas tree needs water. It cracks me up to watch her because she has to go diving in under the tree to get her hand in the tree stand. Here she is, checking on the water before church on Sunday....
Sunday afternoon we were invited to our dear friend Bill and Annie's to have Paella cooked outside in their lovely wooded backyard over a fire pit. I happen to know that one of Bill's favorite cookies are these peanut butter cookies, so I decided to make a batch to bring to them.
In the Christmas of 2008 my Grandma Jane gave her family some keepsake items from her home for Christmas. The item she shared with me was a bowl that belonged to her mother. In the note that accompanied the bowl she said that grocers in the Depression era often gave dishes like these to customers. I was very touched by the gift and stored it away in a safe place so nothing would happen to it. This year when I was getting out our Christmas decorations I found the bowl and the note, still in its Christmas box, wrapped up and tucked away. Very safe. Not being used. And it just felt so silly to me. This bowl has survived in kitchens for how many decades? And I have it tucked away for sentimental reasons?
While I was making the peanut butter cookies I used this bowl to hold the sugar for rolling the cookie dough. While I was doing that the smell of the cookies and rolling the balls of dough around in the sugar I was struck with missing my Grandmother so much - it was so overwhelming I started to cry before I really understood why. I remember making peanut butter blossom cookies with her so many Christmases....
With peanut butter cookies in hand we were off to Bill and Annie's for our Paella adventure. Amelia had the most difficult time finding her proper temperature. Here she is bundled in a sweater that belongs to Annie and a blanket, but still enjoying a nice cold beverage!
Bill, Annie and John work to get the fire just right, the rack positioned correctly...
Papa and Grandma!
Me and Amelia, having a little snuggle in front of the fire.....
Our wonderful chefs.....
Bill, as photographed by Amelia!
Papa and Bill, grateful for each other....
Sweet Ava, who had the most delightful evening....
The Paella was fantastic, the company to be cherished. It was one of the most memorable evenings I've had - I know I will never forget it.






1 comment:
I hate how out of my routine I am with blogging and reading blogs! I just spent a long time reading through your last several posts. You are such a good writer! Happy belated 12th anniversary. The dinner in the woods and over the fire = lasting memories! Amelia watering the tree = laughed out loud! The story of the bowl = I seriously thought you were about to say the bowl got bumped and it broke while baking the cookies! What a neat keepsake to have!
I'm going to get back into my blogging habits! I love hearing what's happening!
Post a Comment