Monday, May 13, 2013

My Dog Has Allergies

So Orbit's got rashy, patchy spots on both sides of his belly.  When I noticed it I rubbed expensive hair cream into the spots for a few days, but it didn't seem to be helping anything.  I googled it and like human conditions the results ranged from normal/expected to completely scary. So I finally made an appointment for him at the vet.  It seemed to be a bit of a mystery to her.... allergies?  thyroid issue?  mites?  None of the symptoms were a perfect match, so she suggested starting with the most likely and least expensive.... allergies.

Orbit is now on an anti-biotic for the rash (once a day) and takes regular, human adult Benedryl three times per day.  I actually made her write the dosing down, because I weigh 135 pounds and one adult Benedryl renders me practically unconscious.  It was hard for me to believe that a 17 pound dachshund could tolerate three per day.  But that's what he's taking... He loves the little pill pocket treat things the medicine goes in, so getting him to take them is no problem at all. And the Benedryl seems to have a sedating effect on him.  Here's Orbit last night once the medicine was on board.....  I honestly had no idea dogs could even have allergies.


Yesterday was Mother's Day.  John had to work a good chunk of the day, so I kind of potted at home and tried to get some things done.  I swapped out my summer clothes for winter clothes (please tell me it's not too soon!) and cleaned my closet well.  (2 bags to Goodwill, 1 to consignment.)  I did some laundry, planned meals for the week.... (this, this and a modified version of this) Amelia and I cuddled on the couch, went to Maid-Rite for lunch and then went grocery shopping.

When John got home I met some friends for a bike ride from the Indianola Trail Head to the Summerset Winery.  It was a beautiful day.  I had a glass of sangria, listened to some music and enjoyed some good company.  They have live music and festivities every Sunday afternoon. People bring little picnics and lawn chairs... It was awesome to get a little work out combined with such a lovely, relaxing event - I hope to make this a Sunday habit. 

Wow!  Look at those WHITE legs! (on me)


Bigger news than Orbit's allergies, bigger news than a bike ride to an Iowa winery is that our sweet Patito is on a grand adventure with her Papa Ray and Grandma Jo this week.  For Ava's pending 10th birthday my parents took her to Virginia for much of the week.  They left bright and early Sunday morning for visits Charlottesville, Richmond and Colonial Williamsburg.

My dad sent this message of Ava visiting the University of Virginia on Sunday afternoon with the subject line "Save Aggressively." 


Here our fact loving girl visits Thomas Jefferson's home, Monticello this morning....


And the Virginia Capitol in Richmond...


I have to say.... even though Ava's only been gone a couple of days we are all feeling kind of mopey missing her. The girls are off school this week and the weather is finally nice.  It is so unbelievably generous of my parents to give Ava this grand adventure.  And, to be honest, it is nice to have the rare one on one time with Miss Amelia. But sigh....  We miss our Ava.  We've talked to her a couple of times and she just sounds so stinking grown up and far away.   My dad has been great about sending pictures and updates (as you can see) but it makes me a little lonesome for her to be sure.  

This picture arrived just a few minutes ago with the subject line "Heading to Dinner" with the nice reminder that she's still our little girl.  Mousie and Two awaiting her return....


No comments: