Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Things I Don't Want to Forget

It's tempting to start yet another blog post with the promise of being better about blog posts.  My intention is good, but my follow through, not so much.  So I will take to this space this morning to record some things I really don't want to forget.

First, Amelia, our little timeline girl, has been going through a phase of hypothetical questions. It is hilarious to me. My favorites:

"Would you rather have a foot or a phone?"  (My answer - a foot, although I'm embarrassed to say I thought about it for a minute.  Amelia's answer - "a foot, but I would really like a phone.")

"Would you rather be in a hotel in Colorado for 10 days on a work trip or at home for one day bored, tired and stinky?" (This is a tough one - I went with at home because I would always rather be with my people - Amelia chose home too. Although in the proximity of summer, 10 days in a hotel in Colorado doesn't sound just terrible.)

"Would you rather have Orbit (our dog) or no queso for the rest of your life?" (No queso? Really? A life without queso? Still, Orbit wins.  The beings always win. He's a pretty great dog.)

Ava Jane is becoming a pre-teen so quickly my head is spinning. She remains the very sweet, kind, thoughtful girl she's always been, but we are adding in more self-consciousness - more time in her room... She has been asking for an iPhone for almost a year.  I have been pretty firmly in the "totally unnecessary" camp on this one.... until I wasn't.  I am starting to see all that starting Middle School entails, that trying to keep her young/protected doesn't acknowledge the world she actually lives in.... Then her crummy, basic phone rolled over and died.

The short version is - I wanted (needed?) a new phone, so I went to AT&T yesterday.  We were on an old plan - I upgraded our plan, got a new phone for me, Ava gets my old iPhone and we save $40/month.  She was absolutely beside herself. When I was driving her to swimming last night she said, "I can't believe this is actually happening.  I have the best life. I get an iPhone and I get to see One Direction next month. (More on this coming soon - stay tuned.)  Thank you so much mom." What an awesome kid. It makes doing nice things for her that much better that she is genuinely so grateful.

A bad summer habit has emerged for our sensitive Amelia. She has really taken to getting her PJs on and then falling asleep on the couch with her dad.  Last night I was trying to tell John this was a bad trend, we are going to regret this when school starts etc....  He said, "before you know it she will be all grown up and won't want to cuddle with her dad anymore." 

Yes, I guess that is true....


No comments: