Monday, November 30, 2009

The Holiday Kickoff Continues

Usually I think the best way to celebrate the holidays is one at a time. Functionally this means I typically like to make the very most of Thanksgiving (my favorite holiday, the meal I most look forward to) before we move on to Christmas. This holiday weekend the two began to blend together and I am just fine with that.

Thanksgiving morning Papa Ray and Grandma Jo came over bearing gifts for the girls. A purple Christmas tree for Amelia!!













And a pink one for Ava! They are beeeeauuutifulllll!













John prepped our Thanksgiving feast for two days - I got to make the cranberries and the dessert - John picked out the recipes for both. I am not complaining because our feast was magnificent. Inspired by Meghan, Lane and John's meal at Frontera Grill in Chicago we had mesquite smoked turkey breast with adobo, chipotle sweet potatoes, seared corn with Mexican herbs, mashed potatoes, cranberry/mango relish, 'traditional' gravy and hazelnut pumpkin pie. (Oh, and margaritas) Just to overkill a bit, John also roasted a whole turkey we didn't even carve on Thanksgiving day. Here's the shot of that bird all carved up - half now stashed in the freezer, the other half we've been eating ever since.









Tonight the Governor and Lt. Governor lit the Capitol Christmas tree. Guess what?! Santa was there! Ava was beside herself when Santa said he'd received her wish list and thank you note. (Our sweet girl didn't want to just send her wish list, she also wanted to be sure Santa knew she appreciated how hard he works for children) Ava is hoping for a Nintendo DS, a bubble gum machine and the 'Black Beauty' book in hard back. Oh, and a Zhu Zhu hamster she accidentally left off her list, so she may have to wait until next year even though Santa is magic and may know she really wants one.









Amelia was a bit suspicious of Santa, both thrilled and terrified. She wouldn't let him hold her, but she would take his candy!


No comments: