Wednesday, May 5, 2010

If You Give a Mouse a Cookie...

Today is 'Dress Like Your Favorite Character Day' at Ava's school. All she really wanted to do was dress like her beloved Mousie from 'If You Give a Mouse a Cookie.' We talked briefly about 'Junie B' or the 'Ballerina Sisters,' but Ava had her heart set on Mousie.

So I scoured the mall over a lunch break looking for a pair of overalls. They are surprisingly difficult to find. I was just about to spend $25 on a pair of sort-of overalls at Children's Place when I asked the sales clerk if they had any other overalls in the store I had missed. And tucked away on the clearance rack (for $5.99!!) was a perfect pair. After looking in a dozen stores I wanted to kiss her.

Then it was off to the party store where I found a mousie nose, but no ears. With the picture of Ava's wide blue eyes and sweet insistent voice in my head, I set off for the costume store where I found mouse ears and tail. And yes, I fully intend to remind her of this when she is 13 and hates me.

For Christmas when Ava was 1 1/2 Grandma Jane gave Ava this book and a little stuffed mouse to go with it. Mousie has been a nearly constant companion ever since. She was out of bed at 6:00am this morning ready to get going....


2 comments:

Hilary said...

How perfect! Now you've got Halloween for this year taken care of, too!

Gma Marilyn said...

Yes, I agree with Hilary! PERFECT!!
Also fun, and Mom, you certainly deserve a metal for "persistance" in finding "all" she needed for her
perfect "look"!