Sunday, May 2, 2010

I want to ride my bicycle...

Yesterday we bought Ava a new bicycle. I think for her 5th birthday we bought her a bicycle at Target - a horrible heavy thing that she was never willing to ride. We got rid of it. Now, nearing seven she has decided it is time to ride a bicycle. Oh my dear sweet Ava, not one thing before she is good and ready.

Our very dear friend and resident bike consultant Bill came with us to Bike World where we contemplated the two bikes that were 1) light enough for our sweet Patito and 2) in our price range. Who are we kidding, it really came down to color. Much to my surprise, Ava chose the blue bike with pink and purple polka dots. (The other option was pink argyle) She's been obsessively riding it ever since. All night at Bill and Annie's house last night. Then she bounded out of bed at 6:30am this morning ready to ride her bicycle. She started with two training wheels, took off one, then the other. I suspect she'll be flying confident and solo in the next 48 hours.











Not to be out done, Amelia headed out to cut Ava's paths off with her tricycle.










Then I took my new bicycle out for it's inaugural run. I had been oddly concerned about navigating the bike cleats and clip pedals. Turns out that's not nearly the big deal I anticipated. (Isn't that the story of my life?) I've been availing myself of coaching this year - first running - using a training coach at the gym to get ready for Dam to Dam. Then swimming, meeting a swim coach for pointers on how to improve my swim (a revelation). Friday I meet with a bicycle coach - thus the reason for a 15 mile bike ride today. All of this will probably lead to shaving 3-4 minutes off my sprint distance triathlon time, but I am learning a lot about what it takes to train for an event vs. merely covering the necessary distance.

Maybe all this means that when my girls are my age I will be able to do races with them and maybe win my age group because I am on the only 68 year old to show up! Truth be told that is my biggest motivation.


3 comments:

Hilary said...

Where's the picture of you on your bike? I want to see this beauty! I'm jealous of the coaching you're getting. I bet you're learning some interesting tips. You'll have to pass them on to me...for next year!

Gma Marilyn said...

Hooray for Ava!!! How exciting to ride your very own bike totally "by yourself". Great pics!

Bill Roach said...

I'm not sure for whom I am more excited, Kate or Ava. Both are going to be awesome, and all the more so together. Both share a wonderful desire to take on new challenges. Kate, to get faster in triathalon's. Ava, (at last report) to ride across two countries. I bet on both to succeed.