Yesterday morning Ava came to our room, sobbing, at 4:50am. She'd had a terrible dream. John stumbled out of bed saying "I'm going to go for a run," while I dealt with the sobbing mess that was our daughter. It seems she had a dream where our house was filled with bees and spiders. She was holding Orbit and moved out of the way of a bee only to have it sting the dog. Then, in her dream, Orbit died from the bee sting. Ava was inconsolable. After back rubbing and reassurances the only thing that would work was to get up (around 5:00am) and see that Orbit was ok. "Mom, it was just such a real dream." She curled up on the couch and watched some tv while Orbit snoozed at her feet.
Our sweet Ava is growing up so fast. Orbit is most certainly a member of the family, but Ava is his person. Monday night the girls were outside playing in their snow fort with their friends and Orbit was standing guard over his people, by the door.
Tonight John had to work late. I was late picking up the girls and it showed in their tired eyes. When I got to Ava she was upset.... upset that she had been hit in the face by an errant basketball in the gym at her aftercare. I couldn't quite figure out why she seemed so distraught.... but then she said the boy who threw the basketball didn't even say he was sorry. And maybe he laughed a little. Oh, and maybe she had a little crush on him. At least she giggled when I told her that boys could be real dorks.
At home the girls plugged into their iTouches while I made noodles and peas for dinner. Not my best show, but it seemed to be what they needed tonight.
Sunday my mom brought over a bag of stuffed toys for Orbit. He generally makes quick work of the stuffed toys and he is in heaven with the buffet now before him. The wonderful woman who cleans our house each week sent me a text this afternoon that made me laugh... she said she was changing Orbit's name to "The Orbinator" based on how he tears apart his toys. Want proof?


1 comment:
Oh, poor girl. And poor mom for having to deal with it at an insane hour of the morning! It sounds like she recovered, and thank goodness for the snow to be a good outlet.
Post a Comment