Monday, April 8, 2013

Mall of America

Ava Jane is a Directioner.  You don't know what that is?  It means she is a One Direction SUPER FAN.  Every generation seems to have a boy band that inspires first crushes and this is certainly hers.  My sister Betsy told me about the One Direction Pop Up Store that was open at the Mall of America for six weeks only.  Aaaaannnndddd.... Amelia had been begging to go to the American Girl Doll Store at the Mall of America so we decided a special trip to the Twin Cities was in order for the girls.  John's work schedule took him out of the mix for the weekend, so the girls and I set off for Minnesota after school on Friday.

We arrived at Brian and Hilary's and were greeted by really cute signs announcing a One Direction Dance Party - music was playing and the cousins were so excited.  It was so sweet!





Saturday morning we headed out to the Mall of America for our special girls day.  All week we had been talking about being kind and generous to each other.  Each of us had a store to visit that was special and important to us and so while we were in that store the rule was we would all be on our best behavior.  Mostly that worked.

Ava Jane, thrilled to see the One Direction Store and to pose in front of a big picture of her big crush - Harry Styles.  


The One Direction Pop Up Store was structured kind of like a concert t-shirt stand where all the merchandise was behind the counter.  And boy was there a lot of merchandise.  I kept thinking to myself, "I hope these young men had good lawyers who are helping them be well compensated for the use of their likeness!" A very lovely young woman who worked at the store kind of took Ava under her wing and helped her look at all her choices.  Amelia was a little bit squirely and started coming off the rails a bit when Ava picked out a One Direction diary.  ("Ava already has a diary!  She doesn't need TWO!") But I know Ava had a great experience and was thrilled with her new One D stuff.  

Strike a pose!


Meanwhile, next door to the One Direction store Amelia's America Girl doll was getting a new hairdo and her ears pierced.  Yes, really.  Here's Amelia with the spiffed up Kristen proclaiming this day was "the best day of my life."


Exploring the American Girl doll store....


Then it was my turn...  My special store for the Mall of America was Lululemon.  All day we had been taking pictures and texting them to John - the girls were enjoying keeping their dad up to date on our adventures.  So Ava snapped a picture of me to send to John - standing in front of the Lulu logo....


For reasons I simply do not understand Ava was bound and determined (and I do mean DETERMINED) that she was going to find a pair of fashion glasses.  She did, at Justice, but I am certain she would not have left the mall willingly without them.  She's worn them basically non-stop since.  I do have to admit, there is some nerdy cuteness....


And if all of that wasn't enough, we also were able to meet up with Brian and Hilary's crew and take in a few rides...


Makes me want to reach for the Dramamine just looking at this....



We had a great and exhausting day at the Mall.  A fantastic quick trip to Minnesota.  I realize this all seems a little silly, a little excessive, but I hope that the girls will remember doing something fun and special.  I hope they will feel like the things that are important to them are also important to me.

No comments: