I love making Sunday dinner for my family. All the people I love the most around one table and me with the opportunity to feed them all. I love the planning, the shopping the preparation of a dinner that takes most of the day... No matter how crazy the week I can plug into this meal, plug into home. This evening's dinner was especially wonderful. We have Lane, home for a visit before a deployment to Spain, Meghan, fresh off travel through Southern Iowa with the Lt. Governor, Marilyn, here for a visit while Ava is on Spring Break, Papa Ray, Grandma Jo and Grandma Jane.
We had to borrow folding chairs, set up a folding table and cozy up to fit everyone around the dinner table, but it was one of my favorite Sunday dinners in a long, long time.
Meghan put in the request for chicken and noodles over mashed potatoes. A uniquely Iowa carbohydrate phenomenon? I roasted the chicken, picked the meat and then used the bones for stock. Carrots, celery, onions and peas - (I did cheat and use frozen 'homemade' noodles) and it came together beautifully.
Lane humored us by wearing his Navy uniform - with his sister Meghan....
With his proud Grandma Marilyn....
With Papa Ray, Ava and Amelia....
Dessert was a treat - Carmel Apple Cheesecake Pie - a sinful layer upon layer of desserty goodness. Worth every single step.
Meghan went home with leftovers, order is mostly restored to the kitchen and we gather ourselves up for another week.
1 comment:
That's a great tradition, and one I bet the girls will remember as they grow up!
Post a Comment