I suppose it is only normal that a person would live their life, make choices, in a way that validates those choices. Nine years ago John and I bought our house in a neighborhood that has about 35-40 houses just like it. (Ok, to be fair, I think there are actually 5 different floor plans, but I've never had to look very hard for the bathroom when visiting a neighbor) It is a fantastic starter house - about 1600 square feet, three bedrooms, nice yard. We bought it before Ava and Amelia were born, when Meghan and Lane were finishing junior high. We needed a house we could afford because John was just starting law school. And this house fit the bill.
This house has helped us raise Meghan and Lane, bring Ava and Amelia into the world, see John through law school. Our neighborhood is simply teeming with children the same age as our little girls. The biggest thing I think this house has given us is the opportunity for Ava and Amelia to have a childhood filled with friends, neighbors, pretend play and hours and hours of running around outside.
We go in spurts for wanting a different house. More space, shorter commute to work, nicer features. But this time of year as all the kids emerge and romp all over the neighborhood, all of us looking out for each other's children, I feel just great about staying where we are for awhile.
The barefoot, outside girlies at the end of a beautiful Spring Saturday....
No comments:
Post a Comment