Thursday, March 1, 2012

Some food and a cute dog....

Last weekend I found myself inspired to bake.  I saved this recipe for a Root Beer Float Cake months ago and so Saturday I decided to bake it.  There was a little bit of user error getting the cake out of the pan.  I used a non-stick pan, I greased and floured so I'm not sure exactly what went wrong.  Next time I will probably allow it to cool completely in the pan before I try to turn it out.

Anyway, the cake was very interesting.  To me it didn't taste much like root beer, but the root beer added an interesting depth and taste to the chocolate.  I will definitely make this again and it will definitely be prettier.  John said it looked like there was a cake amputation.  You couldn't tell at all when it was sliced and served with a big ole scoop of vanilla ice cream.


Next up, Glazed Donut Muffins for breakfast Sunday morning.  I'm not sure these muffins lived up to their billing as tasting like glazed donuts, maybe cakey glazed donuts... but they were delicious.  To me they tasted like cinnamon cake  donut holes. Next time I make them I would probably add more cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves to bring that flavor out even more.  I would also probably use some wheat flour. The glaze was a super tasty muffin addition!


I just love how Orbit gathers up all his lovies and lays in the sun.....


1 comment:

Hilary said...

Enough of that sushi stuff...now you're talking my kind of food!