Sunday, April 15, 2012

Childhood Memories

It is very easy for me to get in maintenance mode.  Shopping for groceries, cooking dinner, doing laundry, keeping the trains running on time.  John has a lot of work related travel this month so I am trying to be really intentional about about doing stuff with the girls, not just doing stuff for them. When they reflect on their childhood I don't particularly want their enduring memories of me to be unloading the dishwasher or folding the laundry. 

Knowing John would be gone this weekend I decided to pack up the girls and Ava's bestie Jessica and go down to Honey Creek for the night. Honey Creek is a really neat destination - it is a state operated hotel/resort on a large lake.  There is a hotel, A WATERPARK!!!, golf and lots of outdoor activities.  The resort is located in a very rural part of the state and has given a nice shot of economic development to Southern Iowa. 

We headed out Saturday afternoon after dance class and drove the hour down to the lake.  (BTW - Saturday afternoon Ava was at dance class and Amelia had fallen asleep.  I called my parents to see if they happened to be available to pick Ava up from class, but guess where they were?  Honey Creek! They were tied up with their meeting, but we did get to see a little bit of them.)  The girls set a record changing out of their clothes and into their suits and down to the water park where they spent every waking moment they weren't eating.

Ava, Amelia and Jessica floating by on the lazy river...


Ava steers her tube!


 Lazy river indeed!

Amelia making a pirate face outside the water park.


When I was a little girl I have very fond memories of my parents taking us to hotels to swim, eat pizza etc... sometime with friends, sometimes not.  It always felt special to be away from home, cozied up with too many of us in one room.  I hope my girls (and Jessica of course) remember this trip that way.



No comments: