Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Marathon Weekend

This weekend we made another quick trip to Minnesota, our adopted home state, so John could tackle the Twin Cities Marathon - his fourth encounter with 26.2.  Since John is not the only runner in the family I decided to squeeze in my first ever 10K race on Saturday morning.  I got to toe the line with my sister-to-me Holly while my sister-to-me Hilary cheered us on, freezing her tookus off to be one of the few spectators at our race. Here we are, cuddled up at the start trying to keep warm!


I am posting this picture even though it isn't terribly flattering... my eyes are closed and those pants don't hide much.... but it is one of the few race pictures of me where I actually look like I am running. I felt great about this race - putting down negative splits and exceeding my goal pace. It was a very fun, kind of low key way to celebrate TCM marathon weekend for me.


Even though it was John's marathon weekend I clearly inserted myself squarely into it.... I have been a fan of Another Mother Runner since I really started to commit to running again four years ago.  Sarah and Dimity have been an inspiration to me.  I feel like I know them. They were speaking at the Marathon expo on Saturday, so I talked John into re-arranging his intended schedule so I could hear them speak and meet them.  Here John, who kindly recognized this meant something to me, snaps a picture of me with the lovely (TALL) women who've moved me out the door to run more often than I can say. 



After the expo we paid a visit to my sister Betsy and more importantly Baby Alivia.  John is ever-girl trapped, but loving it.....


And then it was time for John's 26.2. It was a beautiful day to race, but perhaps a little chilly.  Lane, Ava, Amelia and I mapped out four places on the course to catch John. (All the while Meghan and Hilary were running the TC 10 Miler - both turning in FANTASTIC races).  Amelia and Lane cuddled up together waiting for John at mile 14.


And here's John, running a great race, happy and relaxed every time we saw him.  Meghan snapped this photo at mile 14 - I clearly don't know I'm in the picture, but I hope you can see how proud (ok jealous) I was of him for running such a great race.


John's childhood friend Scott also ran the TCM, his first go at the marathon.  Supporting each other at the finish....



The TCM will always hold a very special place for me and this weekend was full of sentimentality and gratitude.  Family. Good health. Good friends.  Meaningful challenges. Role Models.  John is already talking about Grandma's Marathon next year....

1 comment:

Hilary said...

Awesome post...until the part about Grandma's Marathon. Then my stomach did a flip-flop!