Friday, May 30, 2014

AJWM

Our Ava Jane is 11 - and that just seems impossible to me.  Closing down the last days of elementary school she has grown so much this year, physically and emotionally. We are diving head first into pre-teen Ava, but celebrate that she is so kind, observant, smart and caring of others.

For birthdays this year we told the girls they could choose one friend and do something fun together in lieu of a birthday party. Ava's choice was to go to fancy dinner at one of her favorite fancy spots - Centro. "Oh, and mom, can you sit at a different table so it can just be me and Jessica?"  Heeeellllooooo pre-teens!

Sweet besties heading to dinner....


I got the girls settled at their table and then seated myself in the bar with a book. I told the hostess and the woman who was waiting on me to please let me know if the girls got squirrley or needed an adult reminder.  That I didn't expect them to babysit and I understood that other customers didn't come to a nice dinner to be disturbed by 11 year olds.

When we had been there about 25 minutes the server who was taking care of the girls came to find me. She wanted to tell me how polite and well mannered the girls were - saying please and thank you. She said it was a delight to take care of them.  And I have to say, that made me so proud.  

I promised I would leave them alone to their fancy dinner and Ava only came to find me once.  "Mom, mom, creme brule is the dessert that has the crunchy sugar top, right?"


Ava is growing and changing right before our eyes, every single day. I am starting to get glimpses of the adult she will become.  I love that girl like crazy, but it is such a treat to find out how much I really like her as a person. Happy Birthday sweet Patito.

No comments: