Toward the end of the swimming season a notice came home from school that they would be offering the Girls on the Run program for the first time at the Downtown School. My friend Nicole is a long time GOTR volunteer and raves about the program. Everything I've read I really like. The running (of course) but the lessons on self-esteem and camaraderie. I didn't have to nudge too hard for Ava to sign up.
They trained Tuesdays and Thursdays for 12 weeks and Friday night was end of the season 5K event. Every girl got a running buddy and wild horses wouldn't have kept me from doing this race by Ava's side.
Here we are before the event.... Clearly I'm so proud I could burst.
Amelia was not.at.all.pleased. that she didn't also get to run. I am confident she could have done it - too bad she needs to wait for 3rd grade to join the program. Naturally she jumped in for pictures too - she will NOT be left out.
The event was at a nice park in West Des Moines with a 5K loop around a small pond. Flat, shaded, crushed gravel trail. Ava worked hard to run this 5K - she had moments of struggle, but finished really strong. Then collapsed into a chair once she got her medal....
We took some pictures, then headed to our friends Bill and Annie's for a wonderful pasta dinner. Here we are, after the race... so proud of how hard she worked!
Saturday morning we headed off for a quick trip to Minnesota with Papa and Grandma. I was headed North to run a 20 miler with Hilary and Holly, my parents were going to see Alivia, Mack and Betsy - Marc and Ida. No way the girls wanted to miss out on all that fun.
At dinner with the whole crew. Here's Betsy and Alivia, both a little shy, some kindred spirits, those two!
We arrived home a little more than 24 hours later. We were all pretty tired out from a fun trip and boy was Ellen happy to see us. Dachshunds are burrowing animals... Can you tell?
Can't get enough cuddles!







No comments:
Post a Comment