The girls dance is giving me some fits this year. There are so many things this dance studio does well - but scheduling/communication just isn't one of them. I'll give you examples....
First, last year when I began to very seriously consider Grandma's Marathon I called to find out if they knew when the recital would be? I was told, very definitively, that it would either be the weekend of June 14th or the weekend of June 28th, but there was no way it would be the weekend of June 21st, which is Grandma's Marathon weekend. So I signed up, hired a coach and began training in earnest. It doesn't take a genius to see where this story is going.... Guess when the recital is? Yup, June 20th - the night before the race. When I found out I was in a bit of a twist, but will help the girls with rehearsal and let their dad, Papa Ray and Grandma Jo celebrate the recital - all the while trying to lay my guilt aside.
Second, parents weekend at dance class was published on their website and on their Facebook page as June 14th. I made arrangements for my last long run with my running friends for Saturday morning. Friday night we had several neighbors over to enjoy beverages and S'mores by the fire pit and my friend Molly (who's daughters dance with my daughters) asks if I am ready for parents day - tomorrow? What? I text Richard and he says the website is wrong and parents day is indeed the next day. I was in a TOOT I tell you - angry with Richard, tired of the miscommunication. I got stubborn and said I was sticking with my plan to do my long run and would let John handle parents day.
The next morning I met my friends for our run and I was still kind of steaming. But about 2 miles into the run I got a lump in my throat. The only thing that kept going through my head was "you are in the wrong place. you are in the wrong place." I knew I had let my anger and frustration at situation override what was most important - which is my relationship with my daughter. I ditched my friends, headed home, showered up and went to parent's day. I am so glad I did - especially since I will miss the recital. A good reminder to me to focus on making decisions from a better, more generous place.
So we had parent's day and pictures, which was a bit of a zoo. Here's Amelia and her friend Sage in their adorable costumes.... They are dancing to the theme song from "The Flintstones."
Ava and the beloved Richard, her dance instructor for the last 6 years. They were hamming it up because Ava is now taller than Richard. And her costume to a fantastic Charlie Chapman inspired dance matches Richard's outfit for the day.....
After several hours of dance class, which required quite a bit of coordination (John had to work much of the weekend) we had an hour or so break before we headed off for pictures. The girls got dressed in their costumes again - I was helping Ava with her hair and hollered at Amelia. This is where I found her - outside riding her scooter. Because, why not?
Charlie Chapman costume....
Beautiful Ava....
When we finally finished up pictures at 5:30pm we all kind of collapsed into a heap. I texted John this picture of my Bloody Mary to let him know we had survived.






No comments:
Post a Comment