The marathon took up quite a bit of my emotional (and physical!) energy, but somehow life goes on despite big events and big goals. The girls school is on an extended calendar so their last day was last Thursday, the 19th - the same day as their dance dress rehearsal. The next day they had their dance recital and I left for Duluth, so Monday the Waltolach summer officially, finally began.
I think Ellen is excited.... Or maybe not.
I like to tell myself I keep a lid on the girls activities, but I'm beginning to think that is not quite true. I thought this summer would be fairly low key, but some nice opportunities for their activities have presented themselves. It's a balancing act - I want the girls to be interested and involved in things. And I want them to have periods of boredom/downtime and a real summer. (See this post, sent to me by Holly that totally nails it.) But I also really prefer them to be out and about to watching "Sabrina the Teenage Witch" again (and again) and again.
It started with summer swimming which, by the way, is so much better than winter swimming. Mostly because the drop off/pick up occur in the daylight with temperatures well above freezing. So the girls are swimming and doing meets several nights a week. Then Ava had the opportunity to go to swim clinics sponsored by Simpson college, so everyday this week she's been at the pool from 1:00-4:00pm, which she loves and leaves her spent.
THEN Ava got invited to join the introductory pointe class. I'm not sure if you knew, but this is a BIG DEAL. It means she's worked hard and is ready. Or maybe it means there's another opportunity for us to pay for more dance classes. Either way, that girl has wanted pointe shoes since she started dancing when she was four years old. She will take an intensive introductory class Monday - Thursday for the next two weeks, then start once a week in the Fall. Of course these classes are in Des Moines.
Wednesday I took Ava up to be fitted for her first pair of pointe shoes. She was practically vibrating she was so excited. First time on her toes....
Her beloved teacher, Richard, was on hand to make sure the shoes were fitted perfectly, to avoid injury and whatnot. The whole process took about 30 minutes, but it gave me confidence that she is being well taken care of... Ava being tended to by Richard....
Amelia will start a once a week baton/tumbling class at Superstars next week, a bit more savvy baton studio where she is hoping to learn a lot more tricks. But so far this week she's been to the city pool a few times with her neighborhood friends. One of her friends' mom sent me this picture, that I think is so beautiful, and confirms that these kids are having a magical childhood indeed.
With Grace, Selena and Gabe....


No comments:
Post a Comment