Tuesday, October 7, 2008

The things I thought I would skip by not having any boys...

Ava concluded her three week Fall break with a day spent with her (our) dear friend Annie at Howell's, a wonderful farm that has a delightful pumpkin patch/hay ride/corn maze in the fall and conveniently provides a Christmas tree farm in the winter.   Ava came storming into my office at the end of the day yesterday with a pocket full of rocks, a styrofoam cup that had a catterpillar (named Cattie - clever) and bits of twigs and grass.

Ava manages to combine fancy, girlie characteristics with a deep appreciation of the outdoors.  She is forever puttering around outside collecting rocks, leaves, interesting looking weeds...  I always have to carefully empty her pockets before I do any laundry.  I've learned the hard way with a dryer full or leaf bits and rocks.  How many times have we watched her hike up her dress to better climb, jump or play?

Amelia looks up to her sister and has especially internalized the whole thing with the rocks. So we have bowls full of "special" rocks that each of the girls pours over with great interest. 

Yesterday was Amelia's school conference where we were advised she is very smart, very verbal, very strong/adventurous and a little bit shy in new situations.  None of this is news, but it was nice to get a good report from her teachers.  Amelia loves children's songs and has been marching around the house the past three or four days doing her own rendition of "Old McDonald..."  Ya-ya-ya-ya OOOOOOOOO

It has been a busy couple of weeks and there are no new pictures on the camera. Here are a couple more taken at the park a few weeks ago...











No comments: