Friday, November 26, 2010

Thanksgiving, with a guest photographer

Ten years ago John and I were married. We chose Thanksgiving weekend for a variety of reasons, some practical, some sentimental. The practical - I was working in a political environment and Thanksgiving weekend fell after the election. We traveled to the US Virgin Islands for our wedding and it gave us a built in extended weekend. Sentimentally, Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. I love the food, the change of season from Fall to Winter, a holiday focused on nothing but eating well (food I love!) and being grateful.

This year in a nice bit of symmetry, our 10 year wedding anniversary fell on Thanksgiving day. We hosted my parents, Jay, Bill and Annie - and missed terribly Meghan and Lane. 10 years ago I couldn't have imagined we could be so fortunate...

Our evening began by offering painkillers in a nod to our wedding locale and some champagne to celebrate. Here are Bill, Annie, Ava and Amelia cuddling up - note all their beverages - a painkiller, a glass of champagne, some red wine and Bill's beverage of choice - a diet Coke!














Amelia and Ava, very excited to see their Papa Ray. And Papa Ray doing his part to contribute to their energy level.













Just before dinner my brother Jay became ill, causing us all to worry. He rested on the couch while we ate and Ava took charge of the camera. (And Jay's doing fine now) Here's a sampling of what was found on the camera when I hooked it to the computer this morning.

Ava's self-portrait from 1st Grade:










Amelia, who naturally wore a tiara for most of the evening:









Our tablecloth, that apparently desperately needed to be ironed!









Papa Ray:









Grandma Jo:









The boat, all lit for Christmas, thanks to John and Ava:









It was a wonderful meal, a wonderful celebration. Grateful, indeed.

No comments: