Monday, January 3, 2011

Longer

A new year is upon us, the Winter solstice has passed and from here to Spring there are only longer days. We've had a couple of unseasonably warm days for January in Iowa, the snow is mostly gone and the forecast is for the 30's and sunshine as far as the eyes can see. Oh I know there are dog, dog days ahead, but this mini-break is a welcome reprieve.

As the calendar starts a new year I am settling into a new job, one with a more predictable schedule and an emphasis on work/life balance. My mind wanders to summer with the girls, watching them swim like happy little otters and play outside until the last of their friends are summoned indoors.

Transitions can be hard, especially for a creature of habit like me, but this transition is allowing me to envision a longer horizon for me and my family and I am feeling ever so grateful at the beginning of 2011.

Ava and Jessica, in the pretty light, bouncing on the trampoline on January 3rd. BTW - Ava is wearing my hat and it looks so stinkin' cute on her I suspect I won't get it back.














Amelia spiked a fever last night around mid-night. She fought the fever with all her might as the children's Motrin took hold. She sang verse after verse of "Take Me Out To the Ball Game" as the medicine did it's work. She's been doing great all day and here she helps me prep dinner, Pioneer Woman's meatballs that were...ok... for a week night meal. I will keep the meatball recipe (they were tender and delicious), but will probably not make the sauce again.

Today, two weeks into a new job, I felt comfortable telling my boss I needed to work only a half day so John and I could split the day caring for Amelia. His reply, "I hope she feels better soon." Gratitude.














No comments: