Friday, January 14, 2011

Around the table

As you know, John and I celebrated our ten year wedding anniversary in November. For years I've told John what I wanted for a 'significant' anniversary was the Tiffany Etoile ring. When we were first married I thought we would return to St. John, USVI (where we were married) and John would give me the ring as a gift on the beach where we said our vows.

As our anniversary date drew closer our priorities looked a little bit different. Yes it is a beautiful ring. And yes, I would like to wear it some day. And oh would I like to take our whole family back to St. John to mark an anniversary, but this just wasn't the time. But we still wanted to do something special to mark the milestone.

This Fall I attended a party at West End Salvage and was given a tour by the owner, who told me about the custom tables they make. I immediately asked very nicely (ok, nagged) John to pay a visit. He went by himself, we met there over the noon hour and we started talking about buying a table to mark our ten years.

John asked, would it feel too functional, too much like an appliance? No. We love to cook, we love to feed people, we place a priority on dinner together as a family every night. We were married at Thanksgiving and I loved the symbolism of a table as our anniversary gift to each other. John took to the project with great enthusiasm and today our new table was delivered.

We can very comfortably seat eight around the table. We ordered an extender table that makes it easy to add 3-4 more. We also ordered a bench for one side. We just love it. We need to buy new chairs (when budgets allow) but take a look:

Pizza Friday around our new table (bench view):













Complete with the lovely bowl our dear friends Bill and Annie bought us to celebrate our anniversary.


2 comments:

Gma Marilyn said...

Beautiful!!!!!! I can hardly wait to use it!! Love, Mom

Hilary said...

Love it! Where has the 10 years gone?!