Finally, finally Ava's rescheduled triathlon arrived. Just two weeks ago her race got rained out as she was about to start. The event was rescheduled for today and as Iowa's weather is prone to be - it has been suddenly very cold. So cold that the water temperature was 60.5 degrees. The air temperature this morning was 53 degrees. (Two weeks ago the water temp was 78 degrees and the air temp at the start was in the mid-70's). Gratefully race organizers decided to change the event to a duathalon. Ava had about 5 seconds of disappointment that she didn't get to swim before the excitement of the event took over.
Her race began at 8:00am, but she had to have her bike into transition by 6:45am. It was an early wake-up call for our girl, but she was just humming with excitement.
Here she is setting up her bike in transition. I just loved walking through transition and seeing all the little kid bikes with their streamers, fat tires and baskets!
And Grandma Marilyn was here today to watch and cheer Ava on!!
Waiting for the start. They lined the kids up single file and started them "time trial" style, one at a time about 5 seconds apart. The duathalon format for the kids was a 400 yard run, 2 mile bike and finishing with a 500 yard run.
On your mark....
GO! I love the determined look on her face!
Coming out of transition on her bike - she handled her transitions so smoothly!
It is almost indescribable how it felt watching her come across the finish line so strong, so determined. Annie and I saw her coming around the bend and my heart leapt into my throat. The announcer called out, "here comes Ava Moorlach across the finish line. Congratulations! You're an IronKid!" and I had a rush of emotion that left me in tears. I darted among people to get to her, beaming with her medal around her neck. The first thing she said to me was "that was so awesome, can I do it again next year?"
After the race with me and Annie, proud as can be!







1 comment:
Way to go Ava! That is adorable and so fun that she enjoyed herself. I would have been a bawling mess - way to hold yourself together, mama.
Post a Comment