Wednesday, September 28, 2011

The Next Day

There's been a lot of juggling to do here at our house these past few weeks.  Juggling work schedules, activity schedules.  I know we can be grateful for all the opportunities an interesting work life and fun activities bring us while still acknowledging how hard it can be to keep all the balls in the air.  I am taking just a few minutes this morning after John and the girls have left for the day, sipping my coffee and posting the pictures I took last night in my attempts to capture and record some more of the day to day stuff here.

Since food and cooking is a fun and important part of our family life I'll start with dinner.  John was out of town spending some time with his brothers so this gave me an opportunity to make loose meat sandwiches for dinner.  John, who eats almost everything is just not a fan of loose meat.  He doesn't love chili, bolognese sauce or loose meat sandwiches.  He'll eat them, but it's just not his favorite.  I like a loose meat sandwich from time to time.  It sort of reminds me of my childhood, of my Grandpa Roy who loved going to Maid Rite. So I put them on our weekly menu on a night when John wouldn't have to eat a meal he was only going to be so-so with....

I don't really have a recipe, but here's what I did.  I browned 1 lb of ground beef with two diced shallots and a clove of garlic.  (I've used onions, I've used granulated garlic and onion, I've skipped that step altogether)  Then I put in two squirts of mustard, three squirts of ketchup, a few dashes of worshechire sauce, about a tablespoon of tomato paste and a little bit of water.  I also like to add just a splash of pickle juice. Then I let the whole thing kind of simmer on low until we're ready to eat.  Very fancy, gourmet meal, right?!  Especially because you can't eat a loose meat sandwich without some Ruffles potato chips!


John and I picked up some glow necklaces at the golf club for the girls and it just amazes me how much fun and play can come from a glow in the dark plastic necklace. They were a big hit in the neighborhood last night.  Amelia models hers here.... Love that sassy little girl.



Ava is feeling quite a bit better - I suspect she had/has a little cold or some seasonal allergies.  She asked to go to school today, so I gave her some Claritin to help with the symptoms.  I suspect she was most excited that today is picture day!

No comments: