The girls are on a year round calendar, so this means our summer officially draws to a close tomorrow. That's right. Back to school. Starting tomorrow I will be the mom of a Kindergartner and a 4th grader. Yesterday I took the day off work to take care of the last minute stuff.... Our short summer break has gone by in a blink, but it's been great. And I really think the girls are ready for school to start.
We started our errands with a big trip to Target to buy school supplies. The girls school pools their supplies, but the list is still pretty large and pretty specific. We headed to Target and we clearly weren't the only ones with this idea. Here's Ava, trying to find the requisite red, green, yellow and blue folders..... they were pretty picked over at $.15 apiece.....
After that exhausting (and expensive!) business we decided to fortify ourselves with some Orange Leaf yogurt..... Yum!
Next it was off to see Ashley to fresh up the back-to-school hair-do! Ashely blew Ava's hair straight and now guess who wants to wear her hair straight all.the.time?!
Amelia, so pretty.....
Next up, Amelia's Kindergarten roundup. Amelia has never been one who transitions easily. John had a work obligation, which meant I had to take both girls to Kindergarten night. Amelia got nervous and turned to her sister. Ava wanted to help make it all better. So Amelia wouldn't engage much in the activities until Ava was nearby. I know she will be fine (more than fine) when she gets settled (and Ava's not around), but the settling in will probably take a few days. Here's Amelia, sitting on the farthest edge of the carpet, as close as possible to Ava..... a spot she held most of the night.
Drawing a self-portrait.....
When we got home Amelia had a bit of a meltdown. It was to be expected.... a long day, a pending transition. She howled when I wouldn't let her have dessert (she didn't eat any of her dinner, these sandwiches, which - wow - what's not to love?) and proceeded to throw herself on the floor in protest. Once she settled down we cuddled up on the couch and talked about Kindergarten. She said, "the only thing I am excited about is wearing my new outfit." That's my girl! Sometimes a new outfit is what gets me out the door for something I'm afraid of too.....
Once everyone was finally in bed I poured myself a glass of this.... Sangria from a recipe from our California trip. It is dangerously good! Especially out of the cheesy plastic dispenser!
Falkner Winery Sangria
2 bottles sweet red wine (I used Cabernet - it's not sweet, but I know I like to drink it)
2 cups good orange juice (I used Simply Orange)
2 1/2 cups soda water (add just before serving - I just throw a splash into the glass)
2 lemons, cut into wedges
2 limes, cut into wedges
1 orange, cut into wedges
1/2 can pineapple rings in juice
1/2 cup sugar
Squeeze all fruit wedges into the wine and let sit for half a day. Serve chilled.





No comments:
Post a Comment