It seems like, for the past several months, we've had more weekends gobbled up than I can ever recall. Sometimes it's fun, sometimes it's work, sometimes it's kids activities, but lately I seem to come to the end of a weekend wondering where it went... I know what that really means is that we are fortunate to have busy, interesting lives, steady jobs, engaged kids.... but too many "home days" turn into an endless stream of "must dos" that don't leave much room for down time. That was this weekend. Again. John had work obligations at a conference most of the weekend. So the weekend goes by in a whoosh of juggled dance class, yard work, mountains of laundry, grocery shopping, general restoring of order.
Sunday afternoon Amelia had a birthday party at a park in Des Moines that includes an old fashioned carousel. The invitation to the party specifically said a parent needed to stay and supervise their child... Ava went to a friends house while Amelia and I set off for the party. To be honest, I was a little bit put off by the fact that I had to drive 30+ minutes, stay at the party for 2 hours, drive home in the midst of an already busy weekend.
But off we went and was able to get my mind right, realize I got to spend some rare one on one time with Amelia and make room for her to do something that was important to her. I've said it before - it is VERY easy for me to confuse doing things FOR my kids (laundry, groceries, cleaning, cooking) with doing things WITH my kids. I sort of clumsily shifted my mindset and ended up really enjoying being at the park with Amelia.
Here's my panda loving girl, wearing a panda shirt (of course!) and riding the panda at the carousel. Highlight of my weekend!

No comments:
Post a Comment