About ten days ago a sweet faced 6 year old dachshund named Ellen was brought to the Animal Rescue League. I kept looking at her page on the ARL website and thinking about her, sharing her picture with my parents (you want a doxie, right?!) and mentioning to John what a nice pup she appeared to be.
After several days of this I called the Animal Rescue League just to gather some more information. When I talked to them they said Ellen had an application for adoption pending. I was a tiny bit disappointed, but more happy that sweet dog would have a good home. The person I talked to on the phone said, "you should come visit her. Applications fall through..." So that day after school Amelia and I went to visit Ellen. We enjoyed our time with her all the while knowing she had a home.
You know where this story goes... The next day the ARL called me to tell me Ellen's application for adoption had fallen through and were we interested? I packed up the kids and Orbit (who is required to meet her) and about an hour later we have another dog.
The ARL worker had a bit of a hand in making all this happen. She told me she just knew Ellen was our dog.
Bringing Ellen home....
Ellen seems to be settling into our family practically seamlessly. Because she is 6 and most certainly knows her name we are not changing it. Her name seems to suit her... She had not been kennel trained, but with the help of Pupperoni treats she is doing great with the kennel. She and Orbit mostly get along - fighting a bit over food, treats and open laps. I'm really glad she's our dog....
And I am now undeniably a crazy dog lady....


No comments:
Post a Comment