Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Open House

Tonight was Ava's pre-Kindergarten open house.  Our big girl starts Kindergarten this Friday in the year round program at Irving Elementary.  The school that her older sister and brother attended and the school both her Papa Ray and Grandma Jo attended.

Driving to the school tonight Ava piped up from the backseat 'I feel a little nervous.'  Ava has always been a little person who does well when she knows what to expect, when she has all the information.  I pointed this out to her and told her the reason we were making a visit to the school was so she would know what it would be like on her first day.  She responded with "That's right!"



As soon as we walked in Ava had the chance to say hello to the principal and we made our way to her new classroom. Ava was nearly bursting with excitement but managed to wait her turn to say hello to her new teacher, Miss Tierney.  John has known Miss Tierney since she was in Junior High, in fact, he taught her confirmation class.  When it was Ava's turn, without a bit of prompting from us, she walked up and said "Hello Miss Tierney, my name is Ava."  She sounded so grown up and I was so proud I nearly burst.  This is Miss Tierney's first year teaching and I think she was as excited and nervous as her students.  It is clear she is thoughtful, enthusiastic and well prepared and we are very pleased Ava will be in her class.



We spent some time exploring her classroom...



Then went outside to check out the playground...





Standing on the cusp of this milestone is a bittersweet time.  It is possible there has never been a child more excited to start Kindergarten than Ava.  I am buoyed by her enthusiasm and comforted by how confident I am in how ready she is to make this transition.  The past five years have passed in a blink... and I couldn't be more proud of her.

 

1 comment:

Hilary said...

Have kleenex ready for yourself on Friday...the emotions will come when you least expect them to.

What an exciting time! We can't wait to see you all next weekend and hear how the first week went.