Monday, August 5, 2013

Summer is Slipping Away

The girls' school follows a year round calendar, so they have a seven week summer break and it feels like it goes by in a blink.  They start school again August 14th and I dare say this may have been one of our best summers ever.  (Except for that whole fractured elbow thing).  We've been doing a bunch of stuff, so I wanted to do a quick photo dump post to record some of this great Summer that is quickly slipping between our fingers!

The girls have a wonderful summer nanny named Cassie.  This her second summer with us and I would love it if she just kept coming back.  She does a very nice job of keeping the girls busy with trips to the park, the pool, the Science Center, but also balancing letting them lazy around a bit and be kids.  Last week she and her boyfriend took the girls fishing for the first time.  Ava was a champion angler, snagging 11 fish (all thrown back) that day....


Amelia caught a few less than that, but was reportedly determined to keep at least one.  Thankfully Cassie talked her out of that!  (Go Vikings!)


Last week I had a quick work trip to Chicago and John joined me for the long weekend so we could have a little get away.  Not only did Papa Ray and Grandma Jo agree to take the kids, but they also planned an amazing weekend for them in Omaha.  First up was a trip to the Omaha Zoo. Lovely Ava, the butterfly....


And Mimi, spreading her wings....


My mother found a program at the Joclyn Art Museum that gave the kids a night in Paris.  What a fantastic idea that turned into an absolutely lovely evening for the girls. Naturally Ava needs to wear her beret!


First they painted....


Then ballet, of course....


Parisian musician...


Nothing Miss Amelia likes better than snoozing in the grown up bed.  Sleeping so still next to Grandma Jo...


While the girls enjoyed Omaha aka Paris John and I enjoyed our get away to Chicago. I had to work Thursday evening, all day Friday and part of Saturday.  We still had the chance to have some great meals, a couple of runs by Lake Michigan and explore the city a bit. Here we are, a Chicago-style selfie outside Sushi Samba....


Saturday when I wrapped up my work conference John and I took a long walk from the hotel to Five Guys for lunch.  Worth every single yummy calorie! Needing to walk off those calories and wanting to see more of the city we walked back through Millennium Park and up Michigan Avenue.  Playing tourist, snapping a reflected photo at the Bean....


As we were walking up Michigan Avenue we spotted a wedding party posing and photographing on a median right in the midst of the busy Michigan Avenue.  The bride didn't really look very happy even though she was lovely and wearing a VERY expensive dress.  I found myself hoping that 13 years from now she would enjoy the simple pleasure strolling around Chicago with her husband without much to do...  I know I sure did.


No comments: