Sunday, July 28, 2013

Ankeny Youth Triathlon

After the great experience Ava had at the Hy-Vee Triathlon earlier this summer she had been asking to do another event before school started.  I had been kind of half hearted about it, but when Ava's friend from dance class Eva (got that?) asked if we were interested in the Ankeny Youth Triathlon her excitement overcame my half heartedness.  I really like Eva's mom, so I enjoyed chatting with her, making plans and helping the girls prepare by spending an evening walking on the trail while they rode their bikes and ran around.

The triathlon was yesterday and we all had a great morning.  Except maybe Amelia who was not pleased that you had to be seven to participate. We woke up early to temperatures in the mid-50's.... in the middle of July.  The swim portion of this event took place in the Ankeny Aquatic Center pool, and an email earlier in the week had assured us the pool was heated. We met Eva's family and formed a small caravan up to the event.

At registration with my girls...Please remind me to take my sunglasses off in the future!  Funny for me, I saw my orthopedic physician at the event.  It was kind of from a distance, so I didn't say hello.  Not that he would have necessarily remembered me - he saw 30 patients the day he saw me.  But I did kind of want to go up to him and say my arm is feeling better each day and I am not wearing my sling nearly as much, even though I had it on for the triathlon. I didn't know how much running around, jostling there would be and I wanted to give it some stability...


Eva and Ava mugging for the camera...


The weather warmed just a little bit as we were waiting for the girls age group to start.  The sun was warm, but it was still in the low 60's.  Not exactly temps that make me want to jump in the pool!  Ava aged up into the 11-12 year old age group to cover the distances that were similar to what she had done at her prior event.  When I talked to the race director to make sure that was ok he said, "she could probably win her age group, but she is welcome to age up if she wants..."  I responded "I don't think she cares one bit about winning her age group... she does care about racing with her friend." Waiting, shivering, chatting....


And she's off!


The swim was 200 meters, but it was kind of funny, a long T shaped course where some parts of it were only ankle deep.  Most kids walked those parts, but Ava was determined to swim the whole thing.  She's in the green/blue striped cap....


She made quick work of the swim, which for some reason she decided to breast stroke, and was off to her first transition....


The Hy-Vee triathlon was a very competitive deal, lots of coached kids with expensive gear and aggressive parents.  This event was put on by Parks and Rec and much more our speed.  There were no bike racks in transition because almost everyone's bike had a kickstand.  They did a nice job of balancing a real event feel with and an all inclusive vibe.

The bike portion of the race was 4 miles, two loops on a nice flat trail.  Ava looked very comfortable on the bike....


Ava got out of transition from the swim to the bike, then bike to run just a little bit ahead of her friend Eva.  When Ava came in from the bike she asked "where's Eva?" And when Eva headed out on the run she said "I'm going to go find Ava!"  John went out on the course to take pictures and encourage the girls while the rest of us headed over to see them finish.  He took this picture of them, one of my favorites from the day, running along looking like such strong kids....


John said at one point on the run the girls were skipping - another they were dancing.  But at the finish on the track and the girls picked up the pace to get across the finish line.  


Showing off their hardware!



Even though the swim was a little bit longer, Ava finished this race a couple of minutes faster than Hy-Vee.  She was working hard out there and was helped by a flatter bicycle course.  And, perhaps, knowing she had a friend to encourage her... that always makes a difference!

No comments: