Sunday, June 7, 2009

Miscellaneous

Ava is home!  Grandma Marilyn brought our girl back Friday evening.  We missed her something fierce.  Her time away made her seem older, more independent, as she transitions from Kindergarten in to summer break.  Not only that, she came back taller, I swear.  And here's proof - these pants are NOT capris!  I put them in her pajama drawer this Winter because they were getting a little bit short.  Now they are a lot short.  













********************

Yesterday was Lane's Anchors Away party.  As his family prepares to send him off to the Navy we are deeply proud of his service while we keep our hopes for his safety close.  He leaves home Tuesday night and heads to basic training early Wednesday morning.

********************

For the last several years for Father's Day John and the older kids have gone sailing.  This year they headed out a few weeks early so they could sail before Lane left.  And Ava got to go along.  























********************
Recently it has become quite important for Ava to have a little notebook near her so she can write in her journal.  She hasn't quite crossed over in to fluency with reading and writing, she is doing quite well, but her journals can be difficult to decipher.  One morning the week before last John and Ava kind of snapped at each other.  When it was time to leave I found Ava in her room writing in her journal.  I asked her what it said and she replied, "I don't want to tell you.  I was angry when I wrote it."  I am so impressed with her six year old coping skills!

********************

Our backyard neighbors set up a trampoline and we can't keep Amelia away from it.  She is really too little for the trampoline, but she jumps with great gusto.  For the most part the older kids in the neighborhood are careful with her, but even gentle jumping while she's on it sends her flying. If we turn our backs for a moment she is out the door and on the tramp.  She is fearless and sneaky - a dangerous combination.

********************

Our oven broke and we have to wait until Friday to have it repaired.   Yesterday afternoon while Ava and I were watching some 'Food Network' (now broadcasting in HD!) and ribs were cooking.  Ava has never had ribs (is that possible?) and asked her dad to make them for dinner tonight.  John made two trips to the store, made a divine homemade BBQ sauce and dry rub, but of course, the only realistic way to cook ribs at home is in.... the oven.  Same with the pizza we had planned for tomorrow night.  And the oatmeal chocolate chip cookies I am craving. 

******************

Amelia loves to color and pretty much everything but paper.  She colors her babies, our walls, the floors, the windows, herself.  I have put up every crayon, but she somehow finds more.   How long does this stage last?


No comments: