Friday, May 13, 2011

Fully Operational

The floors are finally done! The furniture is (mostly) back in place! But most importantly, the stove and refrigerator have been hooked back up! And we have a new toilet in the bathroom on the main floor. Not only are the floors lovely, but we can finally (FINALLY!) cook again.

So of course I made a dessert that does not require the stove. But it was easy and tasty enough that I had to share:

Strawberries with Cannoli Cream Dip

Ingredients:

15 oz ricotta cheese
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp grated orange zest
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup mini chocolate chips

Strawberries for dipping

Directions:

Combine the ricotta cheese, sugar, cinnamon, orange zest and vanilla extract. I used our food processor, but I certainly think a mixer would work just fine. (The sugar was a little bit grainy in the dip - it didn't bother me, but I might use super fine sugar next time. Or maybe brown sugar.) Fold in chocolate chips by hand.

Source: Well Fed Newlyweds

The girls are already big fans of strawberries, but this dip convinced them that strawberries are dessert. Ricotta is a very lean dairy and good source of protein. There isn't so much sugar here that I feel at all concerned about the quantity of this dip my children have consumed over the past couple of days.

Yum!













Striking a strawberry pose!






No comments: