Sunday, October 23, 2011

Flashback

When I was in third grade I visited the White House for the first time.  Jimmy Carter was President, my dad was appointed to a Board or panel that met in DC and so he took us on a trip.  A part of our White House tour included seeing President Carter sign a bill related to Martin Luther King Jr's birthday.  I remember my dad nudging me, telling me I would need to be sure to remember this.  I remember getting our picture taken with President Carter.  I remember strolling around the White House grounds, looking in the windows of the Oval Office and seeing the President reading the newspaper (no way that could ever happen now).  I have very few memories from that time of my life that are as vivid as that trip. 

My mother saved the outfit I wore to the White House - a spiffy denim jumper from Montgomery Ward.  As she was cleaning out her storage area she passed it to me.  I thought, "what am I ever going to do with this?" Today Ava wore it to church - how fabulous is she in all her retro glory?! I'm so glad she saved it and that I did too. 




1 comment:

Hilary said...

It looks super cute on her!