Friday, July 27, 2012

A Visit to Crazy Horse

After touring Custer State Park we made our way to the Crazy Horse memorial.  Prior to our visit I didn't know very much about the project, but in my mind it was roughly equivalent to Mount Rushmore.  But I quickly learned it is much, much different.  The memorial is run by the family of the sculptor, who started the project in 1948.  He died in the early 80's and the family continues to make snail like progress on the memorial.  During our visit and after we were left with the impression that the Crazy Horse memorial is much more about preserving a family's livelihood than honoring the Native Americans who inhabited the Black Hills.

None the less, I am glad we visited.  If for no other reason than I learned things I did not know previously.  And the girls were able to get some small understanding that the area we were visiting was sacred to Native Americans.    Oh, and anyone who thinks the government can't run things need only visit Mount Rushmore, then Crazy Horse to see the contrast in the memorials!

 Ava against the back drop of the partially finished memorial....


Amelia with the model of the final memorial.....



No comments: