When I was in high school the term used to describe the dancers was "bunheads." This weekend we were again swallowed up by all the activity around our own bunheads-in-training's dance concert. The recital was at CY Stephens in Ames, about an hour from home. The dress rehearsal began at noon on Saturday and stretched long into the night. John and I tagged teamed the girls - Amelia went with me at noon, John met me there at 4pm with Ava and then took Amelia home. Then I stayed with Ava until about 10pm.
Then Sunday was the big day, the show to end all shows (at least until next year!) with performances at 2:00pm and 6:00pm. I did hair and make up, snapped a quick picture and we headed off to Ames. While I don't love putting that much make up on little girls, it is part of the whole spectacle of the recital and they LOVE it.
I can't believe how old Ava looks in this picture... And I can't believe how different Amelia looks with her hair back like that.
Once we were at the recital venue, the girls got changed and ready for their performance. Ava Jane, in her tap costume, looking so much like Meghan I can hardly believe it.....
With her bestie Jessica - the quality of the pictures is terrible - my cell phone camera is all I had with me. But you can see how much these two love each other. And look here to see how much they've grown up!
Ava's ballet costume. They danced to "In the Mood" a perfect throw-back for my old soul of a daughter.
Ava had one more costume (Jazz - complete with a rainbow afro) that I totally failed to get a picture. It's just been that kind of weekend. But here she is with Jessica, both of them so happy!
And what about Amelia? Amelia having her second dance concert and totally loving it, totally getting it, so much more than last year. Again, bad quality picture, but my adorable dancer striking a pose backstage....
Waiting for her chance to go on stage, where she danced with athleticism and great gusto, embracing the part....
Amelia, who doesn't handle chaotic situations as well as her older sister, who doesn't transition as easily, was a tiny bit overwhelmed by everything that was going on. This picture kind of cracks me up - you can tell she's a bit worried as she watches everything that's going on around her....
Mugging with her mom backstage....
Bunhead, sound asleep on the way home....










1 comment:
As a former dancer, I can so appreciate these pictures. I never danced until high school, but oh how I would have loved to! I actually love the picture of Amelia in striking a pose. The quality of the shot makes it look vintage!
Post a Comment