Last summer on our family vacation to South Dakota a huge highlight was the time we spent with Scott Peterson and his family at Lake Madison. Everyone had such a great time we started making plans almost immediately for a return visit this summer. In the days leading up to the trip I was giving serious thought to just sending John and the girls and enjoying a few quiet days at home. We had been so busy - I was just craving a quiet weekend. After I fractured my elbow last weekend I knew there was no way I could go and enjoy the trip.
The past few days of peace and quiet have taught me an important lesson. I don't like peace and quiet - I like being with my people. If I would have stayed home just because I would have had serious regrets. I know I am out of sorts from the discomfort of the elbow, the medicine, the lack of exercise.... And parts of the last couple of days have been very nice. Most notably, even with one useable arm I was able to do some serious sorting in the basement and Amelia's room without little-Miss-Packrat watching every move!
Throughout the day John would send me little postcards from the road - making me happy and lonely all at once.
Here's the girls, at their first stop on the way, enjoying shakes and fries at the Dairy Sweet....
Grandma Marilyn joined the gang at the American Legion baseball fields so they could cheer on Nick Peterson's team!
Amelia loves Scott Peterson... It is so funny - she only ever calls him Scott Peterson - like it's all one word. She even brought her medal from the triathlon to show him!
Long time friends showing off their baseball caps, recalling their baseball days...
The next morning the pictures started to arrive from the boat - doesn't it look like a gorgeous day?
Twizzler's are out!
Now that's a happy extended family...
My sweet Ava, folded into a chair watching the fire, waiting for s'mores...
Here on the home front I am busy restoring order, preparing for their arrival home. I am going to take some time out of my sling and go to the adult swim time at the pool - just to splash around a little bit. I have a friends birthday party this evening, so I may treat myself to a pedicure at the walk-in place in town. Time to get over the feeling sorry for myself and get on with enjoying my summer.
The sunflowers I bought at Whole Foods Thursday after my doctor's appointment help....









No comments:
Post a Comment