Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Our Trip North

We turned the 4th of July holiday into a four day trip to Minnesota - the first couple of days to visit our people and the second couple of days to celebrate a family wedding in John's family.  We packed a lot into the trip, but had some very special family time together. It is so nice to watch the girls delight in their time with their cousins, knowing they are making lifetime memories - you could see the bubble around these days for all the Moorlach cousins. And that was pretty cool.

We headed North Wednesday night so Hilary and I could race the Red, White and Boom half marathon on the morning of the 4th.  It was my second half marathon in less than two weeks, so my legs didn't have a ton of pep, but Hilary and I ran together for the first five miles or so.  It is always special to me to race in Minnesota with Hilary (and Holly when we can talk her into it!) and I really liked the challenge of two races close together like that.  Hilary crushed her time from two years ago on that course and even though I ran the slowest half marathon I've ever run I had a ball out there.

Post run photo, modeling our hardware!



John headed out for his long run as we were heading home from the race.  Even though it was a practically perfect summer day, it was still a warm summer day.  When he got back from his run there was only one place to be...  the pool in Brian and Hilary's back yard, where the kids spent HOURS playing...  John, before the kids descended!



Those silly cousins!!



After an afternoon of swimming and playing we grilled hot dogs and brats and Hilary brought out the fixin's for s'mores. Hilary took a few pictures of me with the girlies.  Amelia's making a funny little face in this one, but it is the look on Ava's face that just slayed me. She looks so grown up, so happy....



More silly faces!



Before everyone headed out to watch the fireworks there were sparklers in the back yard.  Amelia's favorite!


It is difficult to imagine a more perfect way to celebrate the half way point of summer.

No comments: