Saturday, July 27, 2013

Sumer Swim Meet

The girl's swim club is in a bit of a transition phase as they move from being a community club to affiliating with the YMCA that is opening in town in just a few weeks.  That coupled with the girls year round school calendar and they've had a pretty abbreviated swim season this summer. Thursday represented our last chance for them to participate in a summer swim meet.  Amelia has only had a few weeks of club swimming, but she was really anxious to swim in a meet.  Ava, never one to miss an opportunity to participate in an event (kinda like her mother) was also hoping to go. John had a conflict, so I packed the girls up and off we went to Osceola for the first and last swim meet of the summer.  

The event was very low key, which was nice.  They mixed up boys and girls, age groups etc... so it had a bit of an "everyone participates, everyone wins" feel.  Always a favorite of mine and perfect for Amelia's first event.

Miss Amelia, posing with two other members of her freestyle relay team, our neighbors Selena and Sebastian....


Amelia's in the water, waiting for Seb to touch the wall.  Their relay did great, placing second and Amelia swam really strong...


In addition to the relay Amelia swam the 25 free and the 25 meter backstroke.  She did well in the freestyle, but she was the only 6 year old in the backstroke group (everyone else was 8). She struggled a little bit, but I was so proud of her for working hard and finishing strong...  I love the determined look on her face as she waits for the start!


Ava had an excellent day at the meet, swimming and placing in the freestyle relay, 50 breast, 50 fly, 50 free.  Waiting on the blocks....


I didn't get a picture of it, but the biggest development is that Ava is now diving!  Into the water!  Head first!  You may recall the dives have been a bit of a struggle, but this summer it all clicked and she just looks great.  I have seen a real change in her confidence, her focus, her body awareness...  I am so proud of how hard she works at things she cares about!


The transition to YMCA swimming should be fairly seamless (I hope) the Y is keeping most of the Club staff, including the Director so that will be nice continuity.  But I just have to say, I will be forever grateful for the work this club has done to teach our girls to swim - they have been tough and kind. They have been excellent coaches and teachers and our kids love it. I really want the girls to follow their own path, chase their own interests, but I will probably push a little bit on the swimming front because of the good influence it has had on them.

1 comment:

jm's greenspace said...

That is just about the most awesome thing eva! Way to go, Amelia! And, Ava! They are rocking it!